In the beginning…
Fleetwood pharmacist James Lofthouse develops a menthol and eucalyptus liquid for fishermen in Fleetwood to take with them on stormy and freezing trips into the North Atlantic. It delivers instant relief from problems caused by the prolonged exposure to hostile conditions.
Due to the difficulty of taking the liquid in glass bottles onto choppy high seas, James makes a lozenge from the liquid that the fishermen can take instead. Sales are pretty much stable for a century until...
1950 - 1999
By popular demand
In response to letters from holidaymakers who have visited Blackpool and Fleetwood, the Lofthouse family recognised the huge potential of Fisherman’s Friend, and start selling to shops in surrounding towns in the North West from their van.
As demand increases, packaging of Fisherman’s Friend is moved to a newly converted tram house in Fleetwood. The new packaging in black and red reflects the historic typewritten labels of the brand (so produced due to having both colors on the typewriter, and not wanting to waste the red ribbon).
On the move
Full steam ahead
Fisherman’s Friends are exported for the first time, to Belgium and Norway.
A royal seal of approval
Fisherman’s Friend is awarded The Queen’s Award for Exports. Over the next few years, they go on to win another two Awards, making Fisherman’s Friend the only UK confectionery company to win three times!
1999 - Present
Growing from strength to strength
By 2000 the Fisherman’s Friend factory in Fleetwood has expanded to 600,000 sq ft. In 1980 it was 34,700 sq ft.
On the rise
Fisherman’s Friend remains a family business, producing over 5 billion lozenges a year.